Enjoy Back to School with Baked Chewy Bars

We've looked at some Enjoy Life Foods products since last October and most of those have been chocolate chips either to use in recipes or in individual snack packs. Today we are going to look at their Baked Chewy Bar line of products. They sent us three flavors (Caramel Blondie, Carrot Cake, and Lemon Blueberry Poppy Seed) but only one (Caramel Blondie) has chocolate in any form (chocolate chips) as an ingredient so we'll go into depth about it and just show you the others. These three new flavors join the previous four varieties of Baked Chewy Bars. I have not tried their Choco Loco version yet so I will not be comparing the Caramel Blondie to it in any way. If you have tried any of these flavors of Enjoy Life Foods' Baked Chewy Bars, please do leave us a comment and let us know what you thought about them. As with all of Enjoy Life Foods products these are free of the top 8 allergens, certified gluten-free and non-GMO. The three packs with five bars each were sent to us for free in exchange for this article; no other form of compensation was received for this honest and as objective as possible article you are about to read.

The Caramel Blondies are 100% blondie because they have chocolate chips in them but when I've made blondies I've always added in either chocolate or butterscotch chips so I don't mind at all. The bars are smaller than most similar bars I've tried but still come in at 160 calories a piece. The sweet caramel scent is the first thing I noticed when I opened the sleeve to take one out. There are a few tiny chocolate chips visible but I hope there are more under the surface. The chips are made from unsweetened chocolate and include cocoa butter as well. The bars are soft, they make no noise when you take a bite. The various flours and ingredients make this very textured and really dampen down the sweetness. The chocolate I'm not tasting at all though I see more mini chips inside of it. That's disappointing because blondies don't need chocolate chips so if you add them, make them stand out in the bar. Even the caramel essence that I smelled is dampened down.

The other two new varieties -- Blueberry Lemon Poppy Seed and Carrot Cake -- have 150 calories per bar. Neither have chocolate of any type but I did try them and had 7 others try them with me. Both tasted like their names which is good. People who tried them with me liked them but they didn't love them.

This is the first disappointing article about Enjoy Life Foods here on The Chocolate Cult. This is also the first non-baking chocolate or simply chocolate snack product we've tried from them. I am still curious to see what the Choco Loco bars are like. I have to agree with the folks who helped me test them out that liking these bars was not enough to make us buy them again and again but we wouldn't turn them down if offered them or there was a really good sale. If you have tried any of these three flavors, please leave a comment and tell us about your experience with them.

Comments