Attention Happy Campers! Get Your Ice Cream Here!

Today is the last day of National Ice Cream Month but that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy ice cream and other chocolatey frozen treats during other months. August and September when I grew up (Iowa) and where I currently live (Indiana) tend to be hot and frozen treats can feel like a must. Not only can you enjoy frozen treats but there are upcoming Fun Food Holidays you can celebrate, too. August will see a National S'mores Day on August 10, 2016. In preparation for that and to close out our July frozen treats features, we are going to look at the new S'Mores Stickless Bars from Klondike.  I found these are my nearby Marsh grocery store but I've also seen them in Kroger so I'm hopeful you'll be able to find them where you live if you think these are a treat your family will enjoy. I was able to share these with two of our Acolytes and my family to get their perspectives on these ice cream bars. Unilever sent me a coupon for a free 6-bar package of this new flavor so we could test it and review it honestly; no other form of compensation was received in exchange for this feature article.

On the outside these look and smell like most Klondike bars -- chocolatey coating with very little scent. That happens a lot with frozen chocolate, it has little to no scent unless it is very dark.


Inside you can see a difference. The vanilla ice cream is lined with what might be graham crackers... I can certain smell that fragrance as soon as I cut one open. The ice cream is very creamy smell with a sweet graham crackers overtone; still no chocolatey scent. The shell makes a lot snap and crunch as I take a bite and chew. This close now I can see the graham crackers are indeed those thin lines. The ice cream is mostly creamy and sweet; either my mind was playing tricks on me or it does have a marshmallowy flavor.  The graham crackers taste is now on par with the added in chocolatey flavor. Everyone who tried these agreed that they did taste a lot like a S'More would if you had a frozen one. Personally I wish the chocolate was stronger but then I prefer to use darker chocolate bars when I make traditional style of S'Mores. You need to eat these fast because it starts to melt as soon as you take them out of the freezer, particularly if you hold it in your hands. You can eat with the wrapper still partly around it but I think that makes it melt even faster!

So one big problem with taking these out camping would be keeping them cold. Tell me, have you had these, out camping or not, and what did you think about them. We liked it and could consider indoor camping to just have an excuse to eat them again.

Comments