Chocolate Babka

Hanukkah starts in one week and so I thought this was the perfect time to review Aunt Ida's Chocolate Babka to you all, Sisters and Brothers.  I, being a Midwest Christian girl didn't know what a babka was when I was offered one so I did what any intelligent person should do: I asked questions.  A babka is a Russian style coffee cake to be simplistic.  This one has chocolate added to it so I was happy to be offered the opportunity to review one and thrilled when Aunt Ida's offering arrived at my door.  The contact person offered me suggestions on how to store it and refreshen it so I could use it at the best time for a Special Sacramental Review.  I followed her instructions on Saturday, November 20, 2010, and was not disappointed.  I'll share these instructions with  you.

The babka has no artificial ingredients of any type so if you aren't going to eat it within a week, you should freeze it.  Then about 8 hours or so before you want to use it, put it into the refrigerator.  When you want to eat it, put it in the oven at 300 degrees and bake for 5-8 minutes, I used the maximum time because our oven has never been perfect with heat at a consistent level.  You could also increase the time if you want it warm but I liked it just unfrozen really.  I also put it in a glass dish to catch the crumbling bits that were threatening to fall and did fall off of it as I unwrapped the inner plastic wrap.  This does have flour milk, and eggs as well as chocolate liquor, cocoa, and cocoa butter plus Marscapone cheese if any of these are concerns for your diet, Sisters and Brothers.  One 20oz (1.25 pound) loaf has 10 servings though I cut ours into 8 slices because it is easier for me to visualize that.  Each serving has 240 calories made of 5g saturated fat, 1g transfat (so watch how much you eat per day), 40mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, less than a gram of fiber, 20g sugars, 3g protein, with Vitamin A, Calcium, and Iron as well.

When I was younger, I always ate butter or margarine on coffee cake, not sure why but I did.  So I tried a slice of the Chocolate Babka with and without butter.  I liked the plain one best because the ribbons of thick chocolate didn't have much to compete with in terms of flavor.  After baking, this had a very wheat scent but the cocoa came out as I cut it.  This doesn't have cinnamon and spices which we might normally think of in coffee cake but who cares when the chocolate is so thick and dark tasting.  The bread part was very flaky on the outside and light on the inside. I could see it and the chocolate were wrapped in layers which made it easy to separate and take bites of.  Getting it out of the tinfoil pan was another matter. I could cut it in the pan but I decided to cut down one side to make it easier to give out so I'd have a better photo for you.

If this sounds delicious to you, and I promise it is indeed delicious, then you should check out the Chocolate Babka at Aunt Ida's.  They have other products as well but this is the chocolate one you know you want.  Perfect not just for Hanukkah but for any wonderful morning celebration.  But if you want it in time of Hanukkah then you better order now.

Comments

Woww looks delicious!! I'm gonna check out Chocolate Babka at Aunt Ida's as per your recommendation!!
*smiles*

I'm glad you stopped in, read and left a comment again, Kimberly. Remember we have giveaways still this month and a few even in December to come.