International Chocolate Day 2010

If you've been here a year, Sisters and Brothers, you might recall that your Chocolate Priestess went on a search for readily available chocolate products not made in the USA.  This year I decided to focus on two countries in my review for today's fun food holiday.

Actually, this is more a nice convenience that happened when I went to my near by Saharamart (I've reviewed them in the past so look them up) and found two chocolate goods on clearance that happened to be from Germany and from France.  Since my father's side of my family is from those two countries (plus Canada) and I did the first September Saturday Sacrament on a Canadian chocolatier, I thought it would be cool to honor by father's ancestors by looking at these two products.


The first is Bahlsen based in Hannover, Germany. Their "Afrika" cookies are wafers covered with milk chocolate.  They are very thin and very light tasty, made with both cocoa butter and chocolate liquor.  They do have wheat, milk, eggs and soy so be wary if you have any of these allergies.  One box has four servings of 8 cookies.  Each serving has 160 calories made up of 5g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 1g fiber, 12g sugars, 2g protein with 6% iron and calcium that an adult needs daily.  Each these slowly or you may find yourself eating the entire tasty box if you aren't careful -- I didn't do that, I purposely shared to help me not do that.


The French chocolates I found also on the 50% off racks, are from Valrhona in France.  These are small bars weighing only 0.7oz each and normally costing $1.99 so that may shock several of you, Sisters and Brothers.   There were two varieties a "Tanariva" which is 33% cocoa and "Jivara" that has 40% cocoa.  The Tanariva's label says it will be "Sweet & Caramelized" and it does have that tangy sweetness I expect from caramel even though there is no caramelized listed on the ingredients.  The Jivara's label says "Creamy & Chocolatey" which is exactly what I taste.

Germany and France, thank you both for helping me celebrate "International Chocolate Day" this year.  What other country's chocolate will you use to celebrate today, Sisters and Brothers?

Comments

elizabeth said…
This reminds me of when I was a Girl Scout and we were supposed to pick a foreign country to represent at an International Fair. My troop picked chocolate, because we were really bad at following rules. We got different international chocolates from Saharamart and made a map with the wrappers. My favorite Girl Scout fair ever.
That is so neat, Elizabeth! Thank you for reading and commenting. I wonder if other Girl Scouts will steal this idea now for something similar?
Jillyann said…
These look amazing...especially the French chocolate bar. I'm very partial to extremely dark chocolates...80% or better.
Hi, JillyAn, welcome to The Chocolate Cult.

I have a preference for darker chocolates as well but as Priestess I try not to show bias... *smile*

I hope you look around our blog and check out the Sacraments and continue to comment.
Caroline Taylor said…
I can't believe how much you love chocolate! It's amazing!
LOL. I hope you come back and read more posts, All That I'm Eating, and leave more comments as well.

As much as I may love it, I practice our sacred motto: Purposefulness and Moderation. For example, the French bars, I had one bite of each, the rest is set out for family and friends to try. The wafers were shared as well.