Too Sweet for Chocolate

A few weeks back I saw a new product out from Little Debbie, a brand I grew up eating in my parents' house.  "Honey Buns" are a treat that the Milk Chocolate Acolyte has enjoyed ever since I've known him which is about 21 years now.  When I saw these at my nearby Kroger I knew I had to get them to try. Combining chocolate with the sweetness of the bun might be something he and I both could really like.

The taste would have to be important because in terms of nutrition, these are not good.  One bun has 310 calories, 10g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 1g fiber, 15g sugars, 3g protein, with 4% iron and 6% calcium an adult needs daily.  They also have several allergens including wheat, soy, milk, and eggs.  In terms of our Sacred Substance it has two types of cocoa.

Sadly the sweetness is overwhelming in these buns.  The chocolate icing is waxy and drowned out by the sweetness so that you can hardly taste it if you know what good chocolate or cocoa should taste like.  Even the "Honey Bun" lover didn't like these.  So since they are nothing to cheer about in terms of nutrition and no one in the house even liked them, we won't be buying these again.

Comments

Cajun Chef Ryan said…
Oh wow, chocolate dipped honey buns! These look way over the top, I know what you mean about being too sweet for the flavor.
Appreciate the review!

Bon appetit!
=:~)
If it had been a better chocolate, then maybe it could have competed with the sweetness but it's mass produced so if I want that, I should visit a bakery, huh?

Thanks for reading and posting, Cajun Chef Ryan. I check out your website when I see you doing something with chocolate or you have some interesting tips I might use.
Anonymous said…
15-20 seconds in the Microwave and these things are great
Thanks for reading and commenting, InterFaithCommunion. We have to agree to disagree on this one.