Hershey's Special Dark Pieces Revealed

You've heard of Reese's Pieces, I'm sure, Sisters and Brothers.  You've heard of Hershey's Special Dark chocolate bars.  Now you can get a bit of both as one of the new line of "pieces" candies from Hershey's.  I bought this with a coupon and when it was on sale.  I happen to like the Hershey's Special Dark bars though not as much as specialty dark chocolates I find it a solid choice that you can find readily in most grocery and discount stores around the USA.  Just because I like the candy bar though does not mean I will like it when it is covered in a candy shell.  So let's see if your Chocolate Priestess was as pleased with this option as she can be with the simple candy bar.

These pieces, approximately 350 or seven servings of .5 inch diameter candy pieces, are covered in three colors: black, maroon, and red.  One serving has 180 calories, 5g saturated fat, 10mg sodium, 2g fiber, 26g sugars, 1g protein with 8% iron.   The very first ingredient on the label is sugar followed by chocolate.

It tastes like sugar is the primary ingredient.  Oh, it has that darkness there, a hint of the bitterness but a lot of sugar as well.  I didn't note a difference in flavor between the color by the way so I can't blame the dye for the sweetness.  With Reese's Pieces I expect the sweetness that peanut butter can have, that isn't what I want from my Special Dark bar.  If you've never had that candy bar, you might enjoy this more and then find it too bitter but for me, I'll go with the bar over these pieces any time.

Sisters and Brothers, may you, too, take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments