Dark Hot Cocoa Mix Well Worth It

Sisters and Brothers, some of you will hopefully recall that Wednesdays have become our hot chocolate review morning here in The Chocolate Cult. You may also recall that your Chocolate Priestess also bought three types of Nestlé hot cocoa mix and has been reviewing them one at a time. Today I'll look at the last of those three flavors I got at Kroger for $1 a 8 envelope box. I hated the "Mint Chocolate" variety, and I thought the "Caremel" while good just wasn't chocolaty enough. Was the three type a charm to distort an expression?

Yes. The "Dark Chocolate" variety was excellent. It had a solid cocoa scent to it as soon as I opened an envelope. The powder looked dark on the bottom of my mug.  I added water and in fact added a bit more than it suggested, 8oz vs the 6oz it suggested, but the fragrance and flavor remained strong.  As you can see it mixed up well but I had to mix it a few times as I sipping it which is very very common for cocoa mixes.  The taste had the bitterness I want from a dark chocolate but also enough sweetness so I wasn't tempted to use marshmallows, a habit I should control so I can focus on the Sacred Substance.

With water, each envelope has 100 calories, 2.5g saturated fat, 180mg sodium, 2g fiber, 15g sugars, 1g protein, 10% Iron and 35% Calcium an adult should get daily.  If you use milk for this you'll need to figure out the added nutritional values.  All and all, for 12.5¢ a serving this was an excellent deal I found.


Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments

mavido79 said…
I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good price on this. I've tried the Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate variety and it's excellent... which is not something I usually say about instant cocoa.
So far this winter it's been hit and miss on these hot chocolate drinks whether they come from a dry mix or involving melting chocolate pieces. Price doesn't seem to be a real factor in determining what is quality either.