National Chocolate Milkshake Day is September 12th

Sisters and Brothers, tomorrow your Chocolate Priestess much focus on a Sacrament so today I realized I needed to give you a heads up that September 12 is "National Chocolate Milkshake Day" according to every fun food calendar I consulted.

I can't find any reliable information about why September 12th is marked as chocolate milkshake day but I did find some information about milkshakes. Milkshakes appeared in the 19th century as a food for the very young and the very ill or physically impaired OR they were an alcoholic drink. The term "milkshake" first appeared in print in 1885 suggesting either that it had been around for a bit or that it was very new and thus newsworthy. Unfortunately accurate historical information about who or why the first one was made has been lost so we can only know what happened after that first printed mentioning for which we have evidence.

This is true for many things in history but I note it is particular widespread for food history. One of my dearest friends who I went to graduate school with is a food historian and she tells me that evidence for when foods and recipes were created or discovered is very rare. It is much easier to track food popularity and development once it has achieved a certain level of use. As always I will try to find you information for any date on the Chocolate Calendar but I will never make things up, only attempt to apply my training as a historian to the evidence I can find.

Please send in a comment and tell me who makes your favorite chocolate milkshake, it could be a store, a restaurant, or yourself. Let us all know where to find great milkshakes. And remember if you make a comment, are an official follower of The Chocolate Cult and live in the USA you will be entered into the random drawing for a prize of products that I've reviewed.

On the day itself, your Chocolate Priestess and the Milk Chocolate Acolyte each got a simple, large chocolate milkshake from Bruster's which is about half a mile from our place. Normally we are big fans of Bruster's and really like their ice cream but this milkshake was disappointing because it really did not taste chocolaty until near the end where the syrup wasn't thoroughly mixed through. I asked the server as she handed them to me if they only flavored it or used chocolate ice cream. She told that they will make it with chocolate ice cream if you ask but normally not so that they save money -- for two of these it was $12.01 for us to have these. They were thick and they were good for vanilla ice cream with a little chocolate but not good for chocolate milkshakes. If you go, ask for the chocoolate ice cream too.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

For further information about milkshakes, check these links:
YahooAnswers
Wikipedia

Comments

mavido79 said…
Well, now, this gives me an excuse to stop by Steak 'n Shake tomorrow and try their Hershey Special Dark milkshake. Thank you, Chocolate Priestess!. As for my favorite? That's difficult to say, though I've always been a fan of the shakes at Steak 'n Shake, no matter what the flavor. The Dairy Barn at the Indiana State Fair can always be counted on for a good chocolate milk shake. Lately though, I'd have to say the two best I've had came from Michigan... the Golden Guernsey in Plymouth and Oberweiss Dairy in Novi.
Anonymous said…
Due to my unfortunate milk allergy, I usually must make my own milkshakes. However, when in Cleveland over New Year's, I took the suggestion of a coworker who had gone to college there and went to Tommy's (http://www.tommyscoventry.com/) to eat lunch. The wait was insane, and we almost left. So glad we didn't. Not only was the food marvelous, but they made "milk"shakes that I could eat! And they were marvelous.

A very close second: the mint chocolate chip vegan shake at Monty's Blue Plate Diner (http://www.foodfightinc.com/montys.htm) in Madison, WI.
Thank you both for replying and for these links. Milk and other allergies are a difficulty for many people but as I am sent vegan and allergy free products I will keep trying then and revealing to you all.

I'll post about our milkshake day later today before it is the big birthday party for the Milk Chocolate Acolyte.