Chapman's Chocolate Terrine

Chapman's is one of the nicer and slightly pricier restaurants in Bloomingon, Indiana. Your Chocolate Priestess goes there only for holidays and celebrations and has never been disappointed whether it was the Thanksgiving buffet or entrees for an anniversary or graduation... until now.

Part of my duty to you, Sisters and Brothers, is to reveal the chocolate offerings of places I go and thus I noted two chocolate desserts on their menu Saturday evening around 7:45pm. One was a chocolate bread pudding which you may recall I had the previous Saturday at Uptown Cafe so I wanted something different. I asked our server which of these were considered a signature or Chapman's speciality and she indicated the "Chocolate Terrine with Raspberry Coulis and Creme Anglaise" which cost $7 so the Milk Chocolate Acolyte and I said we'd share.

What arrived were three slices of frozen mousse (the terrine) of 1.5 by 1.5 inches less than half an inch in width, laid decoratively on a white cream with raspberry swirled through it. Our immediate reaction was "This is all there is for $7?" but we thought the taste might be so wonderful that it made up for the serving size.

You know I am always honest with you, Sisters and Brothers, even if a company sends me a product for free and courts by phone call or emails or in person, I will describe as best I can what their offering looks, smells, tastes, feel, and sound like so you can make wiser choices. I will certainly be bluntly honest about those things I buy.

The mousse was good but that's all it was: good. I really think I could have done that and frankly done it with more cocoa and thus a buzz but even after eating half this dessert there was no chocolate kick we should be able to get from quality products. The cream and raspberry sauce was a nice blend with the very, very slight cocoa taste of the mousse. In fact, this sauce was good on it's own though not $7 good. In fact, for $7 I expected a lot more in terms of size and my senses being enticed.

"Chocolate Terrine with Raspberry Coulis and Creme Anglaise" is not a dessert I will be ordering again. If we go back, as we very well may because the entrees are good and the atmosphere lovely, I'll try the bread pudding instead.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

If you are reading in the eastern half of the Midwest, don't forget The Chocolate Cult's first CONTEST.

Comments